Monday, June 25, 2007

Monday Morning: Digital Arts Alliance
NECC

Well, I was lost yesterday for a little bit. Actually much longer than I want to admit.
It changed last night, though.
After the keynote, I looked and looked and looked for A familiar face, no luck!
So many people!
No sign of Monica, Tyler or anyone I know!!! Other than...
It shouldn't surprise you, really. I think it's sorta standard - who do you think I was all of a sudden standing next to? Take a guess. Check the PS to see if you have guessed right.
And my feet were hurting like heck in my new shoes (no wonder I am wearing crocks today!), and then I was in a mile long line to the Aquarium - the largest in the country - to attend the reception.
I finally found Tyler - and we had a long conversation while in line - getting tired, frustrated and generally hot and dehydrated.
Finally before nine we were allowed by the omnipotent guard to get inside. We had a couple of leaves - whatever remained of the salad, I paid $2 for a 12-oz bottle of water (surprisingly ice was free...) and very salty and dry corn bread. (ACTEM has done a much better job in that department!).
We got home late, but we were very lucky to have had a chance to see the whale sharks swimming over our heads, sawfish, Dorie and Nemo, and belugas, and other beautiful marine life, as well as the ugly Japanese crabs.

Anyway, the ISTE president was painful to watch... She was reading off the prompt screens and couldn't say a word without that, was generally nervous (I mean I can't believe she has delivered speeches before like this one!), and not good at all.
That was disappointing, and sort of bad PR.
I simply couldn't wait for Andrew Zolli to start his keynote because from what I had seen before, keynote speakers are generally very good.
And he was. What a contrast! So he was fun and smart, and a little uncouth for my exquisite taste :), but very funny, and had good information. An interesting take on things, I must admit.
I am sure everyone is blogging about this here already, so a safe bet would be go to technorati or google for "necc" "necc2007" and it will give you a good start.
So, before I forget two websites:
http://www.poptech.org - supposed to be free videos for education
and something like bubbleshare - this one helps you create digital stories online. If you have time, check it out and let me know. I will when I get a minute.

So, today's morning! I am a presider at the Digital Arts Alliance: Digital Storytelling and Project-Based Learning in Grades 9-12; all I do is mainly paperwork, and there are only 9 confirmed presenters, so it shouldn't be a tough job, but gives me something to do, and there are pleasant people here - not the overwhelming something thousand crowd from last night's event!!! I will get a volunteer t-shirt - and you know that a meal and a t-shirt could allure me anywhere! :)
Actually, we each got software - hopefully that will continue to happen!
PS. It was Bernie Dodge. I had to look away when I spotted him standing next to me while talking on the phone and we were stuck at the pedestrian crossing waiting for the light to change. The poor man will think I am stalking him! so, here you go!
*** my phone won't connect to the laptop, hence you will have to wait for the pictures. I have more this time!

2 comments:

Jim Burke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Burke said...

I have to admit I'm a bit envious, Olga. It must be exciting being a part of such a large gathering of kindred spirits. You'll have to tell me a bit more about Tyler. Do I know him?

I hadn't ever heard of Andrew Zolli so I googled him to find the following sites:

http://www.pbs.org/now/society/zolli.html

http://www.zpluspartners.com/about5.html

http://www.worldchanging.com/bios/andrew.html

He certainly is a fascinating person!

Thanks for the lead . . .

L-Guy